“Ultimately, my goal is to create a golf course that is exceptionally fun, and of enduring interest for golfers — the one they would choose if they could play only one course for the rest of their lives.”
After graduating from college with a degree in Environmental Design Art was hired by Keith Foster, who had apprenticed under Arthur Hills for many years before establishing his own firm. Art was hired to help Keith establish his firm, working closely with Keith on every project, apprenticing with him for over 10 years. He was involved in all aspects of the design process, eventually becoming a lead architect, managing a staff of draftsmen and overseeing projects on Keith's behalf.
In 1998, Art established his own golf course design firm. Over the past 14 years, Art's been involved in the design and development of more than two dozen new golf courses, as well as numerous renovation projects for existing golf courses.
Art's most recent new course, Highland Meadows Golf Course in Windsor, Colorado, was named in the January 2006 issue of Golf Digest as the Fifth best new course in the country among public courses costing $50 or less to play.
Other courses Art has completed include:
The Republic Golf Club in San Antonio, Texas
• Opened in 2002 (San Antonio Express News poll, ranked 2nd in “Public/Resort Golf Courses” in 2003)
The Buckhorn Golf Course in Comfort, Texas
• Opened in 2001 (San Antonio Express News poll, ranked 4th in “Affordable Daily Fee Golf Courses” in 2001)
Some of the projects Art helped complete with Keith Foster include:
Persimmon Woods Golf Club in Weldon Spring, Missouri
• Opened in 1997 (Host of the NCAA Men's National Golf Championship for Division III in 2001)
Gateway National Golf Links in Granite City, Illinois
• Opened in 1997 (Top-ranked public golf course in St. Louis metro area, St. Louis Post-Dispatch poll in 2001)
Buffalo Run Golf Course in Commerce City, Colorado
• Opened in 1996 (Golf Digest, ranked 7th nationally “Best New Affordable Public Golf Courses” in 1997)
For more information on Art Schaupeter, visit his website at www.Schaupetergolf.com